ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will it be better in the versions after 2.31?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will it be better in the versions after 2.31?

Here is a quite thorough review of ChangefIT v2.31 (the free version). The next release will be v2.40.

Cross-posted from http://www.support.ecofitonline.com/...ons-after-2-31.

I just tried the free version (2.31) of changefit, it's easy to use, though, I spent quite some time experimenting, because there is no documentation which gives you a run down how to process a project from start to finish.

By using the project naming format of 0(because we don't include any portion of the date in our project#), I am not allowed to include any digits in the project name, which is very odd and inconvenient.

The promotion process needs improvement. I'd assume when we promote a project to test/qa/prod, we are quite likely to promote all tasks within the project at the same time, instead of one by one, which could be tedious if you have many objects to deploy.

The archieved source object name is cut off after the 6th character, which could make searching in the archieve a bit cumbersone, if you have similar object names >= 6 characters.

I also expect the CMS would stop one from making program changes without going throught the project process. But, using this sw still requires developers have full access to the source/object libraries, which means that the developer are not forced to use it (hence no log) in order to make a change.

I know this is a simple (and free or economic) sw, so I guess I expected too much from it.
    Regards

Kit
    http://www.ecofitonline.com
    DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Re: will it be better in the versions after 2.31?

Thank you for you feedback - it is much appreciated. Hopefully the answers below will be of help.

I just tried the free version (2.31) of changefit, it's easy to use, though, I spent quite some time experimenting, because there is no documentation which gives you a run down how to process a project from start to finish.
    Here is a link to the ChangefIT SDLC. Unfortunately, running a vBulletin maintenance program recently removed almost all images from the wiki.

By using the project naming format of 0(because we don't include any portion of the date in our project#), I am not allowed to include any digits in the project name, which is very odd and inconvenient.
    This was a bug introduced in v2.31 and a PTF for this was released within 4 hours of reporting on 25 Feb 2011. This PTF was included in the v2.32 release. The PTF is available here.

The promotion process needs improvement. I'd assume when we promote a project to test/qa/prod, we are quite likely to promote all tasks within the project at the same time, instead of one by one, which could be tedious if you have many objects to deploy.
    v2.31 caters only for interactive promotion of a task. Submitted task promotion were introduced in v2.33 (released 6 July 2011). Submitting all (or some of) the tasks of a project for promotion is currently work in progress. read more>> This will be released with the next release, v2.40, due for release later this year.

The archieved source object name is cut off after the 6th character, which could make searching in the archieve a bit cumbersone, if you have similar object names >= 6 characters.
    The archived source name is listed on the task inquiry screen (22/CFT99R). Thus, if you are searching for the latest archived source of program ABC555, and there are numerous programs beginning with ABC, I would recommend that 22/CFT99R be used with ABC555 as "Src/Obj Name" filter in conjunction with the date extracted sort sequence. Also, coming in v2.40 is that the current "Date Extracted" on this inquiry will cater for all date types; checked-out, promoted to test (or QA, or live), status changed, etc., which will make the search easier as well.

I also expect the CMS would stop one from making program changes without going throught the project process. But, using this sw still requires developers have full access to the source/object libraries, which means that the developer are not forced to use it (hence no log) in order to make a change.
    This is a requirement from a number of our customers, so this will remain for a while longer. As regards restricting developers from making changes to source without going through ChangefIT, here is something you could try. All EcofIT software is compiled using CFADMIN as the owner. Remove the developer's authority from the production source file and CFADMIN from the developer's USRPRF (if CFADMIN is listed as a GRPPRF), and give CFADMIN authority to that source file. This then should disallow the developer from changing a source member if not performed through ChangefIT, but will allow them to promote using ChangefIT because of the CFADMIN adopted authority. Please let me know how it goes.

Naturally, you can continue using the version you have currently loaded for as long as you wish.

Hopefully I have answered all your concerns. Please feel free to make more comments or to ask questions should you require more information or any assistance.
    Regards

Kit

Comment

Re: will it be better in the versions after 2.31?

With the now released ChangefIT v2.44, a new enquiry to display all archived source members for a named source member has been created. The facility to compare any selected archive member to the current production member has been catered for. In addition, the archived source member source may also be displayed from this enquiry.
      Last edited by kitvb1; June 9, 2015, 06:35 AM.
      Regards

Kit

Comment

Working...
      X